Self-contained .exes

In order for me to create educational materials that I can host from my site, I need users to be able to access the .exe files that are created without the files referencing other directories. In order for this to happen, all of the resources used for the files must be contained in the .exe (similar to how Adobe Captivate packages its files).

If that could be an option (self-contained), it would make my world so much easier.

Hi Nicholas,

I agree that this would be very useful. However, in Prezi’s current state, this would create exe files that are sometimes hundreds of megabytes, if not larger, large.

The problem with the file size is that many times users insert so many large files (images, videos, etc.) that the prezi file sizes become very large, which is why we must contain a different folder full of content.

The only possibility right now is to create a video file (as a screencast) as that will be a much smaller file size.

Cheers,
David

However, as far as giving users the opportunity to navigate through the file by themselves, the only option is currently through Prezi’s site? Or is there a way of embedding the resulting flash product in a way that it will still reference the needed resources?

A less elegant way, but certainly a solution, I suppose, would be to simply give viewers a .zip file with instructions on how to extract and view it.

You can host your prezis online and just give them the link to your viewer - looks like: prezi.com/-prezi id is here-/-prezi name is here-/

They will have to make a free Prezi account, though.

Cheers

That certainly is one solution, however, depending on who the intended audience is, having the only method of access be through a stie that they must sign up for comes across as possibly unprofessional.

The place that I am currently able to host the .exe files and all related resources is on NAS that is only accessible on-site. Running the .exe from here works like a charm with no problems. Once a user attempts to access it from an outside computer, however, they must used a web-based access to it. From here, if they attempt to open the .exe file, it will save it to a temporary directory and launch it from there, rather than run it in place.

I know it’s a complicated issue, and I can’t think of any solutions, however elegant.